The Bearded Blog - Santa Claus, Indiana
Guest post by Mary Jeanne Schumacher from Saint Meinrad Archabbey.
The grounds of Saint Meinrad Archabbey are beautiful at any time of the year, but perhaps summer is the most enjoyable time to take a tour.
If you’re enjoying a getaway weekend, here are a few things to do on the campus of this 160-year-old Benedictine monastery:
• Take the monk-led tour. Learn about the history and buildings of the Archabbey as you walk through the main public areas. The tour leaves the Guest House lobby at 1:30 p.m. (Central time) on Saturdays. On other days, pick up a brochure at the Guest House and follow the walking tour.
• Stroll through the monastery rock garden to enjoy the flowers and new blooms on the trees. It’s also fun to watch the fish swimming around the fish ponds.
• Visit the outdoor shrines. You can walk through the Stations of the Cross, located near the Guest House. The St. Joseph Shrine is a nice walk across Highway 545, and a shrine to the Virgin Mary can be found near the lakes.
• Spend some time in silence. Some people simply sit on one of the outdoor benches, while others visit the Archabbey Church or take the short drive to Monte Cassino Shrine for some reflection time.
• Listen to chant. The monks pray five times a day, and you’re always welcome to join them. A Visitor’s Guide brochure lists the prayer times and other helpful info.
Find out more here: http://www.saintmeinrad.org/visit-us/.
“Our visit to Santa Claus, Indiana, was pretty awesome. Cute little town with lovely people.”
Here at the Visitors Bureau we take pride in thoughtful remarks we hear from travelers.
Those particular words came from Meha, who was road tripping with her mother. The duo ventured to all of the town’s landmarks and shared their findings on Instagram.
We love this shot of our office! You can find us next to the gigantic Santa Claus Christmas Store.
Yes, even the local bank is Christmas-themed. Notice the Santa statue near the entrance?
Meha said, “My Mum and I had wonderful visit to Santa Claus. We hope to come again soon.”
We certainly hope so!
Share your adventures with us by using #SantaClausIndiana and tagging @SantaClausInd on Instagram.
Guess who is back in town?
Hint: Red suit. Really jolly. Just returned from a much-deserved vacation at the North Pole.
Our first Santa sighting happened this morning and he has a message just for you:
Visit Santa at the Santa Claus Christmas Store this summer; find out what time the store is open here.